Monday, 26 May 2014
New Season 2014-2015 at the Deutsche Oper am Rhein (Düsseldorf - Duisburg)
Running two opera houses in Düsseldorf and Duisburg, the Deutsche Oper am Rhein has the opportunity to perform 24 operas, including 8 new productions (according to the program book). We shall see it is not exactly accurate.
The eight new productions are the following :
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Die Zauberflöte, conducted by Marc Piollet, directed by Barrie Kosky and Suzanne Andrade. In fact, this production is new only in Düsseldorf. It has already been performed at the Komische Oper in Berlin, in Duisburg and in St. Paul, MN ;
- Richard Strauss : Ariadne auf Naxos, conducted by Axel Kober, directed by Dietrich W. Hilsdorf ;
- Emmerich Kalman : Die Zirkusprinzessin, conducted by Wofram Koloseus, directed by Josef E. Köpplinger (the production will have its première in Munich next July) ;
- Giuseppe Verdi : Aida, conducted by Axel Kober, directed by Philipp Himmelmann ;
- Jules Massenet : Werther, conducted by Lukas Beikircher, directed by Joan Anton Rechi. This production has already been performed this season in Düsseldorf ;
- Gaetano Donizetti : L'Elisir d'amore, conducted by Lukas Beikircher, directed by Joan Anton Rechi ;
- Jörn Arnecke : Ronja Räubertochter, conducted by Lukas Beikircher, directed by Johannes Schmid (children opera, world première) ;
- Sergei Prokofiev : The Fiery Angel, conducted by Wen-Pin Chien, directed by Immo Karama.
In fact, there are only 5 new productions, including a world première.
The revivals are as follows :
- Georges Bizet : Carmen, directed by Carlos Wagner ;
- Georg Friedrich Haendel : Serse, directed by Stefan Herheim ;
- Engelbert Humperdinck : Hänsel und Gretel, directed by Andreas Meyer-Hanno ;
- Emmerich Kalman : Die Csardasfürstin, directed by Joan Anton Rechi ;
- Marius Felix Lange : Vom Mädchen, das nicht schlafen wollte. This children opera was performed for the first time last February in Duisburg ;
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Don Giovanni, directed by Karoline Gruber ;
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Le Nozze di Figaro, directed by Michael Hampe ;
- Giacomo Puccini : Tosca, directed by Dietrich W. Hilsdorf ;
- Giacomo Puccini : Il Trittico, directed by Dietrich W. Hilsdorf ;
- Richard Strauss : Der Rosenkavalier, directed by Otto Schenk ;
- Giuseppe Verdi : Rigoletto, directed by David Hermann ;
- Giuseppe Verdi : La Traviata, directed by Andreas Homoki ;
- Giuseppe Verdi : Un ballo in maschera, directed by Stein Winge ;
- Ludger Vollmer : Gegen die Wand, directed by Gregor Horres. The opera will be performed for the first time ever in Duisburg next month ;
- Richard Wagner : Der fliegende Holländer, directed by Adolf Dresen ;
- Richard Wagner : Lohengrin, directed by Sabine Hartmannshenn.