The main hall on Bismarckstraße will be closed from September to December 2014 in order to replace the stage machinery. Operas will be performed in concert during that time (Meyerbeer's Dinorah, Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos, Donizetti's Roberto Devereux. But a few performances are scheduled in other places :
- Iannis Xenakis : Oresteia, conducted by Moritz Gnann, directed by David Hermann, on the car park of the opera house (new production) ;
- Matthew Herbert : The Crackle, directed by Matthew Herbert and Sasha Milavic Davies (the opera was first performed last April in the Linbury Studio in London) ;
- Benjamin Britten : The Rape of Lucretia, conducted by Nicholas Carter, directed by Fiona Shaw, in the Haus der Berliner Festspiele (production from the Glyndebourne Festival, 2013).
Four new productions are announced (but only two are really new) :
- Dmitri Shostakovich : Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District, conducted by Donald Runnicles, directed by Ole Anders Tandberg. As a coproduction with Den Norske Opera in Oslo, it is to be first performed in Norway in September, and then in Berlin ;
- Giacomo Puccini : La Rondine, conducted by Roberto Rizzi Brignoli, directed by Rolando Villazon ;
- Hector Berlioz : Roméo et Juliette, conducted by Donald Runnicles, directed by Sasha Waltz. It was already performed in Milan in December 2012 ;
- Charles Gounod : Faust, conducted by Marco Armiliato, directed by Philipp Stölzl.