Thursday, 17 April 2014
New season 2014-2015 at the Teatro Real in Madrid
11 operas will be performed at the Teatro Real in Madrid during the 2014-2015 season :
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Le Nozze di Figaro, conducted by Ivor Bolton, directed by Emilio Sagi (revival, first performed in July 2009) ;
- Gaetano Donizetti : La Fille du régiment, conducted by Bruno Campanella and Jean-Luc Tingaud, directed by Laurent Pelly (first performance of this production in Madrid, after London, Vienna, New York, San Francisco, Barcelona and Paris) ;
- Benjamin Britten : Death in Venice, conducted by Alejo Pérez, directed by Willy Decker (first performance of this opera in the Teatro Real, production from Barcelona 2008) ;
- Engelbert Humperdinck : Hänsel und Gretel, conducted by Paul Daniel and Diego Rodriguez, directed by Joan Font (new production) ;
- Mauricio Sotelo : El Público, conducted by Pablos Heras-Casado, directed by Robert Castro (world première) ;
- Giuseppe Verdi : La Traviata, conducted by Renato Palumbo, directed by David McVicar (production already performed by Welsh National Opera, Scottish Opera and Opéra de Genève) ;
- Ludwig van Beethoven : Fidelio, conducted by Hartmut Haenchen, directed by Alex Ollé (new production) ;
- double bill : Enrique Granados' Goyescas conducted by Plácido Domingo, directed by José Luis Gómez (new production) and Giacomo Puccini's Gianni Schicchi, conducted by Giuliano Carella, directed by Woody Allen with Plácido Domingo (first performed in Los Angeles in September 2008) ;
- Elena Mendoza : La Ciudad de las mentiras, conducted by Titus Engel, directed by Matthias Rebstock (world première).
And in concert :
- Charles Gounod : Roméo et Juliette, conducted by Michel Plasson.
This season includes 2 world premières, 3 new productions and 5 revivals.
Since 2007, the following operas received their world première performance at the Teatro Real :
- José María Sánchez-Verdú : El viaje a Simorgh, in May 2007 ;
- Leonardo Balada : Faust-bal, in February 2009 ;
- Pilar Jurado : Lá pagina en blanco, in February 2011 ;
- Philip Glass : The Perfect American, in January 2013 ;
- Charles Wuorinen : Brokeback Mountain, in January 2014.