Wednesday, 6 February 2019
New programme books for contemporary operas from Savonlinna, Finland
I have recently acquired 14 programme books from the Savonlinna Opera Festival in Finland. These books contain details about all the performances and concerts, with complete casts and various articles. They all are in four languages : Finnish, Swedish, English and German.
Here are the contemporary operas included in these books :
- Paavo Heininen, Veitsi (The Knife), with a libretto by Veijo Meri, world première on July 3, 1989 ;
- Olli Kortekangas, Isän tyttö (Daddy's Girl), with a libretto by Michael Baran and the composer, world première on July 7, 2007 ;
- Jukka Linkola, Hui kauhistus (One Spooky Night), a children opera with a libretto by Sami Parkkinen based on the book of the same name by Mauri Kunnas, world première on July 17, 2006 ;
- Einojuhani Rautavaara, Aleksis Kivi, with a libretto by the composer, world première at Retretti, Punkaharju on July 8, 1997 ;
- Aulis Sallinen, Palatsi (The Palace), with a libretto by Irene Dische and Hans Magnus Enzensberger, world première on July 26, 1995 ;
- trilogy Aika ja uni (The Age of Dreams), three operas all with libretti by Paavo Rintala : ...nunc et semper... by Herman Rechberger, Marian rakkaus (Maria's Love) by Olli Kortekangas and Salaisuuksien kirja (The Book of Secrets) by Kalevi Aho.
I now have 633 programme books for contemporary operas. All covers are available in this flickr folder.