Tuesday, 15 April 2014
New Season 2014-2015 at the Wiener Staatsoper (Vienna State Opera)
In the 2013-2014 season, the Vienna State Opera produced seven new productions, including a world première (Das Städtchen Drumherum, a children opera by Elisabeth Naske, in October 2013), three revivals and 41 repertoire productions.
In the 2014-2015 season, there will be one Austrian première (of a contemporary opera), 6 new productions, and 43 repertoire productions.
- Thomas Adès' The Tempest will be performed in June 2015, in the Robert Lepage production which premiered in Québec in July 2012 and was subsequently presented at the Met in New York the following October.
The new productions are :
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Idomeneo, conducted by Christoph Eschenbach, directed by Kasper Holten ;
- Modest Mussorgsky : Khovanshchina, conducted by Semyon Bychkov, directed by Lev Dodin ;
- Giuseppe Verdi : Rigoletto, conducted by Franz Welser-Möst, directed by Pierre Audi ;
- Richard Strauss : Elektra, conducted by Franz Welser-Möst, directed by Uwe Eric Laufenberg ;
- Gaetano Donizetti : Don Pasquale, conducted by Jesus Lopez-Cobos, directed by Irina Brook ;
- Albert Lortzing : Undine (in a version for children), conducted by Johannes Wildner, directed by Alexander Medem.
Repertoire operas are :
- Aida, Don Carlo, Nabucco, Simon Boccanegra and La Traviata by Giuseppe Verdi ;
- Andrea Chénier by Umberto Giordano ;
- Anna Bolena, L'Elisir d'amore and Roberto Devereux by Gaetano Donizetti ;
- Arabella, Ariadne auf Naxos, Der Rosenkavalier and Salome by Richard Strauss ;
- Il Barbiere di Siviglia, La Cenerentola and L'Italiana in Algeri by Gioachino Rossini ;
- Cardillac by Paul Hindemith ;
- La Bohème, La Fanciulla del West, Madama Butterfly and Tosca by Giacomo Puccini ;
- Don Giovanni, Le Nozze di Figaro and Die Zauberflöte by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart ;
- Eugene Onegin and Pique Dame by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky ;
- Fidelio by Ludwig van Beethoven ;
- Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauß
- Der fliegende Holländer, Parsifal, Der Ring des Nibelungen, Tannhäuser and Tristan und Isolde by Richard Wagner ;
- La Juive by Jacques Fromental Halévy ;
- Lady Macbeth of the Mtsensk District by Dmitri Shostakovich ;
- Manon and Werther by Jules Massenet ;
- I Puritani by Vincenzo Bellini ;
- Rusalka by Antonin Dvorak ;
- The Cunning Little Vixen by Leos Janacek.
With 50 operas in 6 languages (English, Italian, Russian, German, French, Czech) by 21 composers, the Vienne State Opera remains one of the most active opera houses in the world.
Recently, the following opera received its world premiere performance at the Vienna State Opera :
- Aribert Reimann : Medea, in February 2010.
If the Vienna State Opera is not the most active opera house in giving birth to new works, it produces a great variety of performances every year. Among the 50 operas to be performed next season, 4 have been composed in the last 100 years.