Wednesday, 23 April 2014
New Season 2014-2015 at the Volksoper in Vienna
This Wednesday morning, I received the program book for the 2014-2015 season at the Volksoper in Vienna.
As usual, the season consists of operas (13), operettas (6), musicals (6) and children opera (1).
The new productions (including a false one) are :
- Jacques Offenbach : La Vie parisienne (in German), conducted by Sébastien Rouland, directed by Michiel Dijkema ;
- Friedrich Cerha : Onkel Präsident, conducted by Alfred Eschwé, directed by Josef E. Köpplinger (Austrian première, world première production, from Munich, first performed there in June 2013) ;
- Gaetano Donizetti : Viva la mamma (in German), conducted by Kristiina Poska, directed by Rolando Villazon ;
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Cosi fan tutte (in German), conducted by Julia Jones, directed by Bruno Klimek (the same team was in charge of the same opera in Darmstadt in February 1996.
The revivals are :
- Johann Strauß : Die Fledermaus, original production by Robert Herzl, revived by Heinz Zednik (2006) ;
- Johann Strauß : Eine Nacht in Venedig, directed by Hinrich Horstkotte (première in December 2013) ;
- Paul Lincke : Frau Luna, directed by Peter Lund (première in June 2013) ;
- Franz Lehar : Die lustige Witwe, directed by Marco Arturo Marelli (première in Mai 2011) ;
- Emmerich Kalman : Gräfin Mariza, directed by Thomas Enzinger (première in March 2014) ;
- Giacomo Puccini : La Bohème (in German), directed by Harry Kupfer (première in 1984) ;
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Die Zauberflöte, directed by Helmut Lohner (première in December 2005) ;
- Giuseppe Verdi : Il Trovatore, directed by Dietrich Hilsdorf (première in November 2013) ;
- Giacomo Puccini : Turandot, directed by Renaud Doucet and André Barbe (première in October 2006, originally from Montréal) ;
- Giuseppe Verdi : La Traviata, directed by Hans Gratzer (première in June 2001) ;
- Engelbert Humperdinck : Hänsel und Gretel, directed by Karl Dönch (première in December 1991) ;
- Georges Bizet : Carmen (in German), directed by Guy Joosten (première in December 1995, originally from Brussels 1993) ;
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Le Nozze di Figaro (in German), directed by Marco Arturo Marelli (first performed in November 1991) ;
- Benjamin Britten : Albert Herring (in German), directed by Brigitte Fassbaender (première in February 2014) ;
- Ludwig van Beethoven : Fidelio, directed by Markus Bothe (première in May 2014)
The following children operas will be performed :
- Mike Svoboda : Erwin, das Naturtalent, directed by Suasnne Sommer (première in February 2014)
The following musicals will also be performed : Harold Arlen's Der Zauberer von Oz, Jerry Herman's Hello, Dolly !, Frank Loesser's Guys and Dolls, Cole Porter's Kiss me, Kate, Fredrick Loewe's My Fair Lady, Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd.