Tuesday, 14 April 2015
Received in the mail this morning : program book for Dusapin's 'Penthesilea' in Brussels
This Tuesday morning, I have received the two volumes published for by the Théâtre de La Monnaie in Brussels for the world première performance of Pascal Dusapin's new opera Penthesilea.
The first volume (112 pages) contains :
- the complete cast ;
- the synopsis, written by librettist Beate Haeckl ;
- an article by the composer Pascal Dusapin ;
- an lettre written by Belgian artist Berlinde De Bruyckere to J. M. Coetzee ;
- an article by musicologist Harry Halbreich ;
- an article by Murat Alat ;
- an article by Hélène Cixous, Achille est Penthésilée est Achille.
There are also a number of quotes by Heinrich von Kleist, Pascal Dusapin, Gilles Deleuze, Maurice Blanchot, Michel Foucault and Georges Bataille, as well as several photos of sculptures by Berlinde De Bruyckere.
The whole book is bilingual, Dutch and French. A 40 pages separate booklet contains the complete and detailed cast and biographies.
The second volume (44 pages) contains the complete libretto in the original German, with Dutch and French translations.
Scans of the front covers of all program books for contemporary opera I have are available in a flickr folder.