Wednesday, 7 September 2016
Received in the mail this morning : programme book for 'The Exterminating Angel' in Salzburg
This Wednesday morning, I have received in the mail the programme book published by the Salzburg Festival for the world première performance of the new opera by Thomas Adès, The Exterminating Angel, on July 28th.
It is a 244 pages book. It is entirely bilingual, English and German. It contains :
- the complete cast and crew ;
- the synopsis of the opera ;
- several color photos of the original production, as well as black & white stills from Bunuel's film ;
- pages from the original manuscript score ;
- Why do we ever do anything ?, dialogue between the composer Thomas Adès and stage director Tom Cairns ;
- Retuning the Dance - The Music of Thomas Adès, by Paul Griffiths ;
- No Exit - On Luis Bunuel's idiosyncratic disaster film 'El angel exterminador', by Christian Arseni ;
- the complete libretto ;
- biographies of the cast and crew, with black and white headshots.
All the scanned front covers of the programme books for contemporary operas I have can be viewed in this flickr folder.